Apr 29, 2015

The Shi Lin Experience

Shi Lin is a Chinese restaurant with a number of branches to include the ones at the Fort and Alabang Town Center that I have dined at. The service is very good, the chairs are comfortable, and the ambiance is rather hushed unlike many Chinese restaurants where you hear the clanking of the utensils from the service area, which personally, I don't mind as the ambiance serves to heighten the various dining experiences. The food at Shi Lin is not greasy. It has a distinct and unique taste, unlike the main stream Chinese food that we are familiar with. The photo menu is a great aid for ordering and what I like about this restaurant is what is served looks exactly the same as the photo. The price is affordable and the food is filling. The Oolong tea is delightful, and even if I am not a tea drinker, I had a few cups. 

I have dined in this Chinese restaurant twice with my daughter, Maxi, and since my phone got reformatted, I lost the video of the cooks making dumplings at their Fort branch and the picture of the food items, such as the spicy spare ribs and buns served with sweet, thickened milk. I got to keep this one from our Alabang Town Center branch visit. Any of the rice dishes is a must try and we enjoyed the less fatty white chicken served with my must-have more ginger sauce. 


And, while we were waiting for the food at ATC, Maxi and I indulged in the all-time Filipino must-do which is taking selfies. 


Ready!


Selfie!


Crazy!

The Shi Lin Experience

The last time I ate at Shi Lin was with my Chinese friend which was great as the orders were different from what I would typically choose. I did request for spicy jellyfish and again I have no photo as I forgot to take one as all I wanted to do was eat. It was a blisteringly hot day and that took the edge off my appetite for lunch but what perked it up was the different kinds of dumplings that was chosen.


Wonton Soup 


Mushroom and Vegetable Dumpling 


Siao Long Pao 

Each and every one of these soimais were perfect - from appearance to taste. Now here comes my Shi Lin experience. Apparently, as informed by my Chinese friend, to eat the Siao Long Pao doesn't mean that you'll just pick it up with chopsticks, dip it in your sauce like soy sauce, calamansi, or chili, and stuff it in your mouth - thought that is not how it was said.

A quick demo from my friend revealed how a dumpling has to be placed a spoon with the addition of pinch or two of finely shredded ginger and a little Chinese vinegar, specifically the red kind, which Shi Lin didn't have so we used the black vinegar instead, and then to swoop it up into your mouth to indulge in that one perfect bite. For me, I wouldn't know the difference of the vinegars but the experience was quite a moment as this dumpling contains soup and it pops in your mouth, and the soup will envelope it with warmth and flavor as it gushes down your throat! This Shi Lin experience is one that I surely will repeat, again and again. If you haven't tried Siao Long Pao, I highly recommend that you do. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

COMCO Mundo League of Enterprises brings back the authentic storytelling roots of Blogging, awards winners of Write to Ignite Season 3

Global award-winning communications group COMCO Mundo League of Enterprises has finally concluded “UNMASKED: The COMCO Mundo Write to Ignite...