Feb 11, 2020

Overcoming disability to have a normal life

Being a blogger has pampered me with lovely times and has tapped my advocacies. However, as the warm welcomes happen when I go to events, since youth I have hid my disabilities as I realized that I just want to be treated like everyone else. I try to remain low key for tech events but for other events, I do have to dress up a bit. 

Where is this line of thought going? 

It is difficult for me to accept pity. I know that I should ask for what I need but sometimes just choose to keep quiet. I did cry the other night when a situation of my life was assessed to be difficult. Yet beyond that, as a blogger, I need to share what my difficulties are and how to overcome these so that I might touch the life of even one reader who needs hope. 

I am disabled. Born with one leg shorter, it was correctional shoes with weights. I couldnt join the sports activities at school. I could walk and run. When the shoes went off,  I had to do tortueous ballet to further correct it. Oh I was also Pigeon-toed. Upon HS graduation, I was a CMT (Cadet Military Training)  intelligence officer. 

My left ear has been partially deaf since I was six. 

I was near sighted 350-300 and now my grade is 150 and I can function without eyeglasses.

I have carpal tunnel syndrome. I write online for a living. I scream in pain once in a while when I push my arm as I do things,  so I choose my activities.

Overcoming means not showing it. As nice as it is for people to care, it isn't easy to accept pity. And, what is said can make me expect for help, but if I ask and get turned down, it hurts as I won't ask if I didn't need to,  so I won't ask again. It also could be because I lack that kind of communication yet...

Overcoming any disability is to work within the limits. Like dealing with people, it is easy to note what their limits are and work with it. By keeping expectations low for some relationships and having good give and take ones, it gives me ease. 

Love comes in many forms yet the best ones are perhaps those that are unspoken. There are those who are there and reliable, while there are those who will fail. Yet,  it is best not to be bitter or angry,  and just to accept even if we cannot understand. Just like having a disability, 0I accept and move with it,  working and living my life within the limits. 

Within the limits, I hear most of what is said and I train my listening with TV news by not looking. I ask for words to be repeated, among other things. 

I walk daily. I can sprint. I can walk 8 city blocks and do so regularly. I wear light shoes and at times, rubber shoes. 

I cook, bake,  and so other chorus but no longer can do anything for an hour straight. I need to test my arm and also do so by taking breaks and hanging out with my friends for an afternoon of laughter. 

There might be those who have mental health concerns. Dealing with it on a daily basis doesn't work. It has to be kicked, with not liking that mind problem. To think of a cure doesnt work. One has to be active, have a good social life,  be productive. Owning a dog helps. Mental health can also be Excuses Excuses, so it is best to keep quiet. No talk, no mistake. 

We value what matters to us. We need to give time, effort, resources, and upliftment. Our lives can be better with a decision.  

I dont like my disabilities. I get in pain sometimes. So, I overcome by allowing it to hamper me but then, I wonder why... 

Amidst the thousands of words I read and hear daily, and the millions in my lifetime, what makes me overcome.. Love comes in many forms and it is a decision. To look back at the words of love I have heard, what doesn't make the mark is just words. 

It is action that makes me overcome. At times it is for myself. At times it is for others. What makes me move to built my fortress of a home and makes my life go on, are the actions.







No comments:

Post a Comment

COMCO Mundo League of Enterprises brings back the authentic storytelling roots of Blogging, awards winners of Write to Ignite Season 3

Global award-winning communications group COMCO Mundo League of Enterprises has finally concluded “UNMASKED: The COMCO Mundo Write to Ignite...